[lbackup-discussion] volume paths confusion

Scott Haneda reply to this message via the mailing list
Sun Aug 23 05:52:57 NZST 2009

On Aug 22, 2009, at 1:50 AM, henri <shustak at connect.homeunix.com> wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> Regarding the errors in the backup, some directories on mac os x are
> not typical directories and they should be skipped or dealt with in
> a special way. The /net/ directory is an example of this kind of
> special directory.
>
>> /net/broadcasthost

In rsync, whether you used a trailing slash or not had importance. If
I don't even want /net backed up at all, so not even the directory
comes over, is that just "/net" in the exclusions?

Do I have to anchor that with ^/net? That does not seem to work, but I
dont want /me/net to drop backups on the /net within /me.

This brings up a larger issue. Rsync does not seem to be able to
reliably back up all file types. Worse, it errors with some of the
same refrences to the .c file I saw years back.

Maybe some work needs to be put into rsync to make it handle this
better.

It took me 7 hours to get a backup, each time the failure made lbackup
have to start over.

>> Do you have to escape spaces? "/Desktop\ DB"
> In the excludes file you should not need to escape the spaces. If
> you would like to check what is being copied accorss and you have
> the latest alpha build then you can enable the session logging by
> changing the line in your configuration from :
>
>   enable_rsync_session_log="NO"

>   enable_rsync_session_log="YES"

Thanks. Any way to just send ut to stdout? I think that may be a
better approach all around. Then you don't need the mail sending tool
either.

Users can simply pipe things where they want them.

> This will generate a session log of what is being copied. The
> session log by default is stored within the backup configuration
> directory and is called "rsync_session.log"
>
> Enabling this feature is very helpful when you are setting up this
> kind of backup.

Thanks.