[lbackup-discussion] volume paths confusion

unicode reply to this message via the mailing list
Sat Aug 22 21:16:30 NZST 2009

Hi Again,

> I am not looking for bootable, I am just looking to clone the main
> drive to a second location.  I am cloning to a directory, which
> would never be able to be bootable.  I just want to have all the
> files that are on the boot volume, in case of catastrophe, I can
> either clone back to another source, and bless to make it bootable,
> or pick and chose what I need.
>
> There are too many things for me, since these are servers, in /etc /
> var /opt and many other places that I would rather just copy the
> entire / and know I have it.

Okay sure. This makes sense. I have a better idea of what you are
trying to achieve. Please be aware that some items will not be backed
up correctly. There are certain items such as devices which are not
correctly handled by the hard linking process. Just check the files
which are important and ensure that they are backed up to your
satisfaction and you should fine.

> I used to just use rsyc with hfs+ patches in the past, and issue via
> cron a command to backup.  This worked, and was very fast on second
> run.  I wanted incremental, which lbackup offers, which is why I am
> trying this out.  I will use launchd this time around.
>
> Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?

Good question. I believe that if the -x (or --one-file-system "don't
cross filesystem boundaries") argument is passed to rsync then this
would not be an issue. Perhaps adding an option to the configuration
file to enable and disable this as an option would be a good idea?
Your thoughts would be warmly welcomed regarding this topic. As a
short term option either adding /Volumes to the excludes list or
adding the -x option to rsync when run for the lbackup script would
solve this issue. I am interested in your thoughts regarding this
matter.

> I take it that copying a hard link always copies the true source?
The way I understand hard links is that they are exactly the same
data. They are a simply a pointer to the same data. They do require an
additional inode. In essence, they are another entry in the file
system to the same data. I am not a hard link expert and different
systems may implement hard links differently.

>> LBackup is a great way for some people to backup various changes to
>> non-user-data directories, between full system backups.
>
> I am not sure I understand this statement.

Bascially, I know that many people use a tool such as carbon copy
cloner to make a full backup. Then  they also have LBackup creating
backups of certain areas. LBackup seems to be a good fit in this kind
of situation.

> I downloaded it, but I can not find a change log.
Yes it is kind of hidden once LBackup is installed :

The command below will display the change log :
cat /usr/local/libexec/lbackup/Version\ History

Please see the current situation listed below between the beta and the
latest alpha :

	Version 0.9.8r (as of alpha release 7)

		Added the lcd command.

		Set more appropriate default settings.

		Additional parameters are now provided to the pre and post hook
scripts.

		Added additional logging facilities.

> Are you aware the mailing list archives are not working?
Yes. I noticed this earlier today. I am looking into what has caused
this problem. However, thank you very much for mentioning this in the
email.

Again, if you have any further questions please let me know.

Keep in touch.