[lbackup-discussion] Compiling rsync

henri reply to this message via the mailing list
Fri Jan 8 10:58:11 NZDT 2010

> While attempting to compile rsync 3.0.7 on Mac OS X 10.6.2, I receive the following error: "./prepare-source: line 26: make: command not found"

The easiest way to compile rsync on Mac OS X is to install the developer tools.

> This step may involve downloading the latest version of developer tools from the Apple Developer Site. This is by far the most time consuming part of this process. Once you have the developer tools installed compilation of rsync v3 with patches on a recent intel machine and DSL connect should take less than 2 minuets.

Visit the following URL : http://developer.apple.com/mac/

From the Apple Developer Mac website, download Xcode 3 for Snow Leopard. You may need to sign in to the Apple Developer site, using either your Apple ID or ADC login details. If you do not have an Apple ID or ADC member ship then signing up for an Apple ID is free.

Essentially, the error you are receiving is due to not having a compiler and other related developer tools installed on your system. Following the default Xcode 3 for Snow Leopard installation procedure will install all the required tools.

Once you have the developer tools installed, follow the rsync 3.0.7 compilation instructions on the LBackup website : http://www.lbackup.org/developer/rsync_hfs