[lbackup-discussion] lBackup and Symbolic Links

Michael Williams reply to this message via the mailing list
Sat Jan 23 15:19:38 NZDT 2010

Hello All,

I am doing yet another install of lBackup, but I wanted to do things
differently this time (since the data and the OS will reside on the
same volume).
I remember reading somewhere that lBackup follows Symbolic links, so I
thought I would be clever and create a folder full of symbolic links
to the folders I want to backup. I tested this by creating a symbolic
link using the ln -s command in the terminal. The link created ok, and
it seams to work in the terminal because if you use the link as part
of the cd command you end up in the right place. I then tried to get
lBackup to backup the folder with the symbolic link in it to another
folder on the hard drive. The backup proceeded without error but
lBackup only copied what looks like an alias to the original file
which is not what I was after.

Does anyone have any ideas what is happening? Should this work or did
I misunderstand?
For the record, I have compiled rsync 3.0.7 and patched according to
Mike Bombich's instructions (obviously substituting the version
numbers). Has anyone else had experience with this new version of rsync?

Thanks,
Michael