[lbackup-discussion] rsync errors: device not configured

henri reply to this message via the mailing list
Sat May 1 00:58:15 NZST 2010

A reply to the question has been posted to the rsync mailing list. The link below  will take you to the full reply :
<http://www.mail-archive.com/rsync@lists.samba.org/msg25744.html>

A snippet from this is reply is quoted below :

> As you might have guessed, that error is coming from the filesystem and
> is not rsync's fault; copying the file with cp should have similar
> chances of incurring the error.

Based on the information kindly posted by Matt to the rsync mailing list, I recommend the following steps outlined in "Option 1", listed below :

Option 1
--------

(1) Physically disconnect the current backup destination device from your backup system.
(2) Reboot the backup system
(3) Check the file system integrity of your boot disk.
(4) Insure your backup server and backup storage device are both attached to a UPS.
(5) Attach a storage device with a known good file system(s) / partition table.
(6) Insure this new device has sufficient storage space for a full backup.
(7) Configure the backup destination to be a partition on this new storage device.
(8) Perform a full backup to this new storage device.
(9) Confirm the backup was successful.

Option 2
--------

If the procedure outlined in option 1 above is not a possibility, then try the procedure listed below :

(1) Confirm the file system and partition table integrity of your boot disk.
(2) Insure your backup server and storage device are both attached to a UPS.
(3) Repartition your current storage device.
(4) Confirm the file system(s) and partition table integrity of your backup storage device.
(5) Perform a full backup to the new file system on your storage device.
(6) Confirm the backup was successful.

Option 3
--------

If the procedure outlined in option 2 above is not a possibility, then try the procedure listed below :

(1) Confirm the file system integrity of your boot disk.
(2) Insure your backup server and storage device are both attached to a UPS.
(3) Confirm the file system(s) and partition table integrity of your backup storage device.
(4) Perform a full backup to the repaired partition on your storage device.
(5) Confirm the backup was successful.

Thank you very much for taking your time to report this error to this mailing list. Being involved in this thread, I have learnt a great deal more about rsync. I am hopeful that that one of the above procedures will resolves your issue.

Regardless of how you proceed, please post back to this mailing list with information on the procedure you end up performing and also if this procedure resolves the problems with your backup.