[lbackup-discussion] rsync errors: device not configured

henri reply to this message via the mailing list
Sat May 1 14:25:10 NZST 2010

>> Based on the information kindly posted by Matt to the rsync mailing list, I recommend the following steps outlined in "Option 1", listed below :
>
> The steps you outlined are rather involved. Since the rsync mailing list pegs it as a file system level error maybe we should confirm that first?

I agree, it is possible that this error is not due to the file system at all.

Although the procedure outlined in "Option 1" is potentially over complicated, it will eliminate the file system and the destination device as possible problems while still preserving them for later analysis.

> Maybe the destination drive is fine, and it is only a file that needs remapping. Maybe not. But I think worth looking into.

I agree, this is also a possibility.

> I have a sparse image that rsync will get to 99% of copying and then fail with error. This causes lbackup or plain rsync commands to halt.

It is interesting that you seem to be experiencing a similar problem and yet scp is not reporting an error your case. As you suggested, it is certainly a possibility that remapping the file is resolving the problem when scp is used for the transfer? I am interested to learn more.

Thank you very much for your contribution to this thread and for your insights into this issue.

> I will try to post my issue in more detail later today.

Great. It would be good to learn more about the issue(s).

Thank you again :-)