[lbackup-discussion] General rsync errors

henri reply to this message via the mailing list
Mon May 3 22:40:51 NZST 2010

>  Depending on how this test works out, we may be able to figure out what is causing it, and then get it fixed in rsync.

I am uncertain of where the problem is at the moment as I have not personally seen these errors. Have you tried using rsync with the source / destination set to different physical devices?

If it is a bug in rsync, it seems odd that the reported error is not easily reproducible. As stated above I am not yet sure where the problem is located. As previously mentioned, trying a known good device for reading / writing is a good way to move forward if you are experiencing IO errors.

On a related topic, I suggest having a look at the following video :
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oin5dKxFST4>

Many newer drives are shipping with 4K sector disks.