[lbackup-discussion] Random rsync Errors

Michael Williams reply to this message via the mailing list
Thu May 30 11:52:44 NZST 2013

Hi Guys,

This is showing up for one of our backup systems:

Using custom rsync : v3...
Preservation of ACL's disabled
Synchronizing...
rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes to socket [sender]: Broken pipe (32)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (4448632 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(601) [sender=3.0.8]

WARNING! : Data Transfer Interrupted

This seams to be happening when we're trying to do the first run, full copy of a backup. We have another backup drive that's only doing incremental backups that are working fine. The new backup drive is a brand new drive and has been tested ok.

The computer is running a custom compiled version of rsync (version 3.0.9) and Mac OS X "Server" Lion (10.7.3).

Has anyone got any ideas what is going on with this?