[lbackup-discussion] volume paths confusion

Scott Haneda reply to this message via the mailing list
Fri Aug 21 11:43:39 NZST 2009

I am not sure how to tell the version of lbackup I am using, but I did
just download it today.  I am using:

$rsync --version
rsync  version 3.0.6  protocol version 30

It is patched as best as I can tell.

Today was my first effort to use the scripts.  I am trying to backup
one boot volume to a second volume. Two different distinct drives.

First I did this
  backupSource="/Volumes/boot-drive"
  backupDest="/Volumes/secondary/backups/daily"

This backup happened in seconds.  I would guess that all it did was
make some links.  So this tells me, I believe, that if the primary
drive goes down, I have a useless backup, is that correct?

Now I am doing this:
  backupSource="/"
  backupDest="/Volumes/secondary/backups/daily"

This is taking a considerable amount of time, so I suspect this is
what I want.  Can I get some clarification on how this works with paths?

A second backup scenario, is to copy one directory from one drive, to
a directory on another drive. On this one, I used full paths, and it
took a while, so I feel relatively confident that it made actual data
copies:

  backupSource="/Volumes/secondary/MailStore"
  backupDest="/Volumes/boot-drive/Users/me/backups/mail-rotations"

Why did this one work correct, and the first one did not?  What
command would I use in the shell to tell which files are real files,
and which ones are just hard links off to other files?

Here is the log from the first backup, where I am trying to clone the
boot volume to a second source:
      ##################
      Thu Aug 20 15:57:46 PDT 2009

      First Run Full Copy...
      Synchronizing...

      Number of files: 1
      Number of files transferred: 0
      Total file size: 1 bytes
      Total transferred file size: 0 bytes
      Literal data: 0 bytes
      Matched data: 0 bytes
      File list size: 32
      File list generation time: 0.001 seconds
      File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
      Total bytes sent: 44
      Total bytes received: 15

      sent 44 bytes  received 15 bytes  118.00 bytes/sec
      total size is 1  speedup is 0.02

      Rotating Backups...
      Performing Atomic Swap...
      Backup Completed Successfully

As you can see, not a lot happened.

Here is the log from the second scenrio, which had what looks to me to
be a correct backup
      ##################
      Thu Aug 20 15:49:10 PDT 2009

      Hard Links Enabled
      Synchronizing...
      Creating Links

      Number of files: 2912
      Number of files transferred: 115
      Total file size: 4644344476 bytes
      Total transferred file size: 130526586 bytes
      Literal data: 130526663 bytes
      Matched data: 0 bytes
      File list size: 95677
      File list generation time: 0.001 seconds
      File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
      Total bytes sent: 130643835
      Total bytes received: 2954

      sent 130643835 bytes  received 2954 bytes  11360590.35 bytes/sec
      total size is 4644344476  speedup is 35.55