[lbackup-discussion] volume paths confusion

henri reply to this message via the mailing list
Fri Aug 21 17:16:13 NZST 2009

Hi Scott,

One thing to be aware of is that LBackup is not designed for full
system bootable backups. Although, it is probably possible to make
this work it will most certainly require some custom post/pre hook
scripts.

The following link has details regarding alternative backup systems if
you are looking for a bootable backup : http://connect.homeunix.com/lbackup/about#alternatives_to_lbackup

If you are backing up the root directory on Mac OS X then you may wish
to consider the recommendations regarding disabling all of the
standard Mac OS 10.5 files and directories and then adding in
directories and files as required. Details are available from the
following URL :
http://www.connect.homeunix.com/lbackup/full_system_backup

> backupSource="/Volumes/boot-drive"
The backup source above is a symbolic link. LBackup would attempt to
backup this as a symbolic link rather than traverse the contents of
this link. This behavior may be altered by modifing the source code or
expelling why you believe the behavior should be different or why
there should be an option.

> This backup happened in seconds.  I would guess that all it did was
> make some links.  So this tells me, I believe, that if the primary
> drive goes down, I have a useless backup, is that correct?
Yes, I believe that this is just a backup of a symbolic link.

> backupSource="/"
In order to back up the entire contents of the boot drive, the example
above is the correct value to use for the backupSource.

> This is taking a considerable amount of time, so I suspect this is
> what I want.  Can I get some clarification on how this works with
> paths?
Please let me know if you require any further clarification.

> What command would I use in the shell to tell which files are real
> files, and which ones are just hard links off to other files?
You can probably use the 'ls' command. I would recommend that you
issue the following command :
I would recommend that you issue the following :

	"ls -la /Volumes/"

This will list the long format of the "/Volumes/" directory and will
also list invisible files.
Note that the "l" at the start of the line indicates a symbolic link.
A hard link on the other hand is slightly more difficult to spot as it
is not a traditional shortcut (Windows) or alias (Mac OS). I would
recommend the "Basic Backup Local Machine" (takes a while to load)
screen-cast available from the following URL : http://connect.homeunix.com/lbackup/screencasts

Another good reference regarding hard links is wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_link

Keep in mind that LBackup is not designed for full system bootable
backups. LBackup is aimed at providing reliable user-data backups.
However, this is not to say that full system backup is not possible
with LBackup.

LBackup is a great way for some people to backup various changes to
non-user-data directories, between full system backups.

Finally, you may be interested in the latest (2009-August-21st) alpha
version of LBackup which has various additional features and minor bug-
fixes :

http://www.lucidsystems.org/download/utilities/LBackup_v0.9.8r-alpha7.dmg

Should you like any further assistance or if you have any further
questions then please let me know.

I hope this help.s

Keep in touch.