[lbackup-discussion] Time point backup schema?

henri reply to this message via the mailing list
Sat Mar 14 14:00:06 NZDT 2009

Hi Daniel,

> Well, I have a very simple plan, which might be work, but I haven't
> check how much work that we need to do.
>
> Binary patches schema:
> Maybe we can pull out some core algorithm used in rsync, any do the
> binary differs, and arrange these differs like git tool.
>
> If it's possible, then we might solve the issue. What do u think? :)

This feature will most likely require file system support or a some
sort of restore client to rebuild the file. If you see a way around
this then please let me know.

One of the LBackup project goals is to ensure that restore operations
are as simple as possible. Adding a client to the mix may not fit with
this philosophy.

I am aware that a client may make certain restore features easier. But
having access to the data without the any client requirements is a
feature of LBackup.

Because disk space is fairly inexpensive and this feature will only be
of benefit in certian circumstances. An optional plugin could be a
good way of implementing this idea. Particularly because this feature
has the potential to reduce the reliability of the backups.

I certainly think that this is a possible way to move forward. I am
not against implementing such a feature to see what it is like.
However, this could be time consuming and it sounds like you would
like to get this backup running ASAP.

> And I also don't have any idea about how much time we need to get
> LBackup work on windows platform. Do u have any ideas?

I have a Windows XP machine and have installed cygwin with rsync. I am
now in the process of looking at how to setup SSH access on the machine.

If you need a time frame right now, then there is Lucid has a partner
company in Japan who may be able to offer you professional support
with Windows backups using rsync.

Also, I would guess that the someone on the rsync mailing lists has
actually done this before.
I have posted a question to this list to find out how complex/reliable
rsync is for windows backups.

I will continue to do some testing and will be back in touch with you
once I have more information.