[lbackup-discussion] L-Backup Errors! That error occurs when rsync tries to set an ACE specifying a user that does not exist. Here's what happens: 1) Read ACE on source file --> on Mac OS X, the user or group of the ACE is stored using the user or group's UUID 2) Convert UUID to uid/gid using mbr_uuid_to_id, also store which type it is (e.g. user or group) 3) [transfer file] 4) Convert uid/gid to UUID using mbr_uid_to_uuid or mbr_gid_to_uuid 5) Set ACE on destination file

henri reply to this message via the mailing list
Sat Apr 10 11:18:11 NZST 2010

> The backup on the offending server was working fine up until yesterday when I redid the ACLs on 4 of the most important shares on the server, so the users could actually get their files. For some reason or other, the backup has now failed.
> I have attached part of the log file for reference. I can't figure out what is wrong with this. The ACLs are valid and otherwise working. Do you have any ideas on what might be causing the issue?

To get help on the rsync mailing list, it would be a good idea to provide details relating to the way rsync was compiled. Would you please provide details on the procedure you used to compile rsync.

For example did you use the process outlined on the URL below :
<http://www.lbackup.org/developer/rsync_hfs>

As an immediate solution (provided you do not need to backup the ACL's) the best option I am able to offer is to upgrade to the latest alpha release of LBackup and disable the backup of ACL's on this system. This alpha release has been available for at least a few days and I am running this on a variety of systems without any issues. I fully understand if this is not a path you want to go down. However, with regards to an immediate solution this is the best advice I am able to offer.

I have seen this issue on a variety of systems. Would you please provide details on the source and destination systems you have the problem with.

EG : Mac OS X version, rsync version.

I have seen this error with rsync versions 3.0.6 and 3.0.7 compiled with the instructions listed on : <http://www.lbackup.org/developer/rsync_hfs>

Thank you again for your information regarding this issue.