[lbackup-discussion] rsync errors: device not configured

henri reply to this message via the mailing list
Mon Apr 26 00:27:55 NZST 2010

> I'm having some issues getting lbackup to consistently work for me.  Occasionally, I get this error on multiple files (not just .DS_Store):
>
> rsync: read "/Volumes/Drobo_HD/lbackups/theserver.Homes/Section.0/Faculty/andrewmac/.DS_Store": Device not configured (6)
>
> Sometimes the same sort of line will start with "rsync: get_xattr_names:" or "rsync: recv_generator:"

Thank you for reporting these issues. Would you kindly provide some further details regarding the configuration of your systems.

 (1) Which operating systems (including versions) are you running?

 (2) Would you please confirm that the copy is taking place via the network.

 (3) Would you please confirm which version of rsync you are using.

 (4) Please confirm if the copy of rsync which is in use was compiled with any patches. For example, did you use the procedure outlined at the following URL to compile rsync? : <http://www.lbackup.org/developer/rsync_hfs>

 (5) Please report back the results from running the following command :
     vsdbutil -c /Volumes/BackupVolumeName
     Note : please substitute the "BackupVolumeName" with the name of your backup volume.

 (6) Please report back the version of lbackup you are using by issuing the following command :
     grep "Version" /usr/local/sbin/lbackup | head -n 1 | awk '{print $3}'

 (7) Do the problems you are seeing localized to a specific sub directory of your backup source directory?

 (8) Please report on the size of the backup set by issuing the following command :
     du -hs /Volumes/Drobo_HD/lbackups/theserver.Homes/Section.0/

(9)  Please let me know how frequently the backups are failing. Fore example 1 in 10 times?

(10) Finally, kindly let me know how often you are running your backup.