[lbackup-discussion] lbackup in the root directory

Scott Haneda reply to this message via the mailing list
Fri Jun 18 09:29:08 NZST 2010

On Jun 17, 2010, at 1:32 PM, henri wrote:

> In the next beta release the lbackup /lbackup directory will be moved into /etc/lbackup. For compatibility a symbolic link will be in the root directory pointing to the new location.
>
> Any comments suggestions on the placement would be welcomed.

I am sort of wondering why.  Wouldn't /usr/local perhaps be the more correct location?  Or, since this is Mac OS X, what about Application Support?

I am not saying /etc is wrong, I have never likes the location of "/" at all.  I do think it should live where other applications of the same do, or, wherever Apple's guidelines state with regard to these files.

I currently have zero third party files in /etc, though I use MacPorts, meaning everything I do end up in /opt/local.  I worry that a major system update from Apple may be very aggressive and modify things in /etc in a way that would break lbackup.