[lbackup-discussion] lbackup in the root directory

henri reply to this message via the mailing list
Fri Jun 18 09:46:35 NZST 2010

>> In the next beta release the lbackup /lbackup directory will be moved into /etc/lbackup. For compatibility a symbolic link will be in the root directory pointing to the new location.
>>
>> Any comments suggestions on the placement would be welcomed.
>
> I am sort of wondering why.  Wouldn't /usr/local perhaps be the more correct location?  Or, since this is Mac OS X, what about Application Support?
>
> I am not saying /etc is wrong, I have never likes the location of "/" at all.  I do think it should live where other applications of the same do, or, wherever Apple's guidelines state with regard to these files.
>
> I currently have zero third party files in /etc, though I use MacPorts, meaning everything I do end up in /opt/local.  I worry that a major system update from Apple may be very aggressive and modify things in /etc in a way that would break lbackup.

The /etc/lbackup directory is slated to be where you may store lbackup configurations (the example lbackup configuration directory will also be located in this directory). However, you will continue to have the flexibility to store the configuration directories wherever you like.

The lbackup executables are currently installed into /usr/local/

Basically, the idea is to move the lbackup directory which is at the root of the file system. This will be changed to a symbolic link for backwards compatibility. However, people will be able to remove the symbolic link in the root directory if they like.

Looking at the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard and taking into account that these are configuration files I think that /etc is a good location. See <http://www.pathname.com/fhs/> for further details.

> I worry that a major system update from Apple may be very aggressive and modify things in /etc in a way that would break lbackup.

This is a valid point and I will be doing some testing to see what will happen with regards migrations.

Again, if you have any comments or suggestions that would be helpful.