[lbackup-discussion] Sample configuration for snapshot-backup on external TC harddisk

henri reply to this message via the mailing list
Mon Mar 1 10:41:21 NZDT 2010

> I was unsure if this was possible with hdiutils.

As far as I know hdiutil is fully supported on Mac OS X. If you would like to mount the image on another operating system I believe there are people working on this problem. However, as far as I know this is not working / fully supported at present.

>> If you are still having problems please provide the a compressed copy of your configuration directory and the output from the following command :
>> vsdbutil -c "/Volumes/Athens Backup"
>
> I think the problem is hinging around TrueCrypt and the way that
> vsdbutil is handling the decrypted disk image. The command returns:
> $ sudo /usr/sbin/vsdbutil -c "/Volumes/Athens_Backup/"
> No entry found for '/Volumes/Athens_Backup/'.

Some questions :

(1) Which version of TrueCrypt are you using?

(2) Which version of Mac OS are you running?

I am able to confirm that on Mac OS X 10.6.2 with TrueCrypt 6.3a that the vsdbutil is able to enable permissions on the volume.

Is the volume Athens_Backup mounted when you issue the vsdbutil command to enable permissions?

> I'm in a backup-less limbo right now.

I would suggest that initially, you consider using Disk Utility to create your encrypted volumes, if you are having problems with TrueCrypt. Even if this is just check that you are able to enable permissions on a encrypted volume created with Disk Utility.

One nice aspect of using hdiutil on Mac OS 10.5 and later is support for sparse bundles. This allows you to add in a post hook script to copy your encrypted disk image to one or more remote systems. Further details on this kind of setup is available from : http://www.lbackup.org/synchronizing_disk_images_between_machines

I do not mean to discourage you from using TrueCrypt. However, if you want to get a backup sorted out ASAP then give hdiutil a try. There may be something else going on with your system and that could be why the vsdbutil command is not working. Ensuring that it works with a disk image created with hdiuil will provide more information and if it works you will have an encrypted file system onto which you will be able to backup.

As mentioned, if you go down the TrueCrypt path any resources you generate and are able to offer back to the project would be very welcomed.

Thanks.