[lbackup-discussion] Sample configuration for snapshot-backup on external TC harddisk

Matt Rosales reply to this message via the mailing list
Mon Mar 1 11:02:13 NZDT 2010

> (1) Which version of TrueCrypt are you using?
6.3a

> (2) Which version of Mac OS are you running?
10.6.2

> I am able to confirm that on Mac OS X 10.6.2 with TrueCrypt 6.3a that the vsdbutil is able to enable permissions on the volume.
hmmmmm

> Is the volume Athens_Backup mounted when you issue the vsdbutil command to enable permissions?
yes. Command is issued as sudo, and no output is given (fails silently?)

> There may be something else going on with your system and that could be why the vsdbutil command is not working.
I will try posing the question to TrueCrypt and see if anyone has seen
this before. In the mean time, I will do a test backup on a small
hdiutil partition to see if it works. I will surely document my work.

In terms of scripts, I was going to cron a backup every 2 hours
assuming that the backup directory is in place- if not, it would fail
silently. Additionally, automator can run the backup script when the
volume is successfully mounted using truecrypt. I do not think these
are highly technical things, but I will put the scripts up anyway.