[lbackup-discussion] very basic question

henri reply to this message via the mailing list
Fri Mar 5 18:54:45 NZDT 2010

> thanks for your answer , from my point of view the way to make more
> "coherent" the configuration policy is to make a file where you can put
> the list of the directories that you want to backup. In the same way of
> the excluded file

Thank you for this feed back.

I have some developer patches to enable this kind of behavior. I have considered this approach.

Essentially, with this developer branch you specify the source as the root directory and then there is a source_list.txt which looks from that root directory for files to backup. This uses the --files-from rsync parameter.

The reason I have not put this into the main branch is due to the other problems and complexity  approach will introduce.

Essentially, there will need to be more checking code in place for all these source directories and it makes the entire configuration more complex root path and now a bunch of files to include.

However, primarily I am not sure I am happy with the way the backup set looks with this approach. Although you end up with a tree which is correct the problem is that there are files missing which are not necessarily in the excludes list. The reason this is a problem is due to the plans to incorporate backup validation tests into LBackup. Not having a list of files to exclude complicates this considerably. At the moment backup validation is the comparison of a checksum for the backup directory (not included the excluded directories) of multiple comparisons of multiple files. It also means that if you want to have backup scripts performing certain kinds of operations it becomes more complicated if there is more than one source file / directory.

If you want this kind of functionality in the short term then I would recommend you take a look at LSync which fully supports this kind of configuration and will soon support an expert system backend : <http://www.lucidsystems.org/tools/lsync>

If you would like to run the patched version of LBackup, I will email you a modified backup script with this functionality. However, keep in mind that with this approach support will be very limited and until a solid way is discovered to implement this feature (I do not think that I have found one yet) the feature will not be included in the main LBackup branch.

If you want this kind of functionally within a single configuration file, I would recommend you consider at LSync or alternatively backup up the root directory of your system and then exclude sections which you do not to have included within the backup. In the longer term (or until a really good approach is worked out) either of these approaches are recommended and supported.

Again, thank you for your feed back on the way you would like to see LBackup work. Your ideas are very valuable with regards to the development of LBackup.

Thank you again.

This email is protected by LBackup, an open source backup solution.
http://www.lbackup.org