[lbackup-discussion] Backup Error Emails

Michael Williams reply to this message via the mailing list
Wed Oct 7 14:06:40 NZDT 2009

Hello All,

A couple of things that hopefully someone can shed some light on;

1.	Backup Emails Are Blocked

I have been testing LBackup on a Mac OS X Server and I now have it
working satisfactorily but have one problem. When the backup fails and
emails the log to me, my webhosting company blocks it. I have started
an investigation at their end, but through the same mail server (using
a mail client) I can send emails to myself and they get there in
record time. I have even tried sending an email out using a mail
client that uses the same address as the backup program, and that
works fine.
I have also tried sending the log email to an email address hosted
internally (a server that I manage for the client) and that works
fine. I have even tried bouncing the email off our email server
(sending it to a local email account and then having all emails for
that account forwarded to me) but that didn't work.

Any ideas?

2. 	The Sending Email Address Won't Change

In the Mail configuration file that I setup to send the backup logs
upon the failure of the backup, everything works fine, apart from the
sending address. Although I have changed it, it is still sending
emails out as lucid at lucidsystems.org. My assumption is that there is a
bug in the code somewhere, where someone has accidentally hard coded
the email address into the code instead of looking to the config file.
Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know the solution? It's
not a major problem, and I'm not about to go groping round in the
source code to try and fix it myself, but if there is a fix that would
be marvellous and may help with the above problem.

On another note, I would be keen to have the option of having LBackup
emailing the logs for the backup on both successful and failed
backups. This way I could tell by the absence of any email that the
server didn't bother to backup. It would also be handy to have the
subject of the email read "Successful" or "Failure" so that it was
obvious whether further investigation was required. Another great
little feature would be to know how much space the backup destination
had free upon the completion of the backup, so that you could see if
the backup was starting to run full or not.  Just a thought.

Thanks for the help,

Michael